Wednesday, January 2, 2008

NRX Bikes

Recently, I checked out a book from the library entitled, "1491" by Mann which revisits was is coming to be known about the inhabitants of the Americas prior to discovery by Europeans through manuscripts written by first hand accounts over the first incursions and by compilation of scientific evidence constantly being gathered and analysed even as this is written.
One of the primary areas which caught my attention was the author's rendering of the Spanish and Inka meeting of culture and technologies. Especially where the Europeans ran up against bridges constructed mainly with tensional components instead of compressional components.
Thinking to myself, I had an "Aha!" moment.
Mann points out the two cultures technological approaches and how they each focused upon different aspects of structure. The Europeans upon compressional approaches and the Inka, tensional components.
So, I said to myself, maybe the compressional approach is inherent in our culture still in most things. Besides bridges, what else, with exception of Fuller and Snelson, have we done with tensional structures?
Why is it that a cabled bike frame made it's first rendition upside down in the 1800's and never appeared again in other designs?
I ask myself over and again. Why am I the only one which sees this as a breakthrough moment? Am I deceiving myself?
And, now that I've gone beyond the original moment, the original change of sight, why can't others see what I see? It is so simple. What don't I see?
Is it that the outward look of our everyday thinking, imagining, is still along the compressional path that we still deviate onto that path of design and sight without realizing it?
For instance, when I first unveiled my cabled steering design for Dave, he had immediately poo pooed it without trying it, while a trained mechanical engineer involved with autos had marveled at its' simplicity?
Guess I had better return to my basement and build at least the next replacement.

No comments: